Saturday, June 01, 2013

Eighty Tree Cafe




























It was a case of serendipity.., stumbled upon the place as we were walking along Lebuh Cintra, with another destination in mind. The place looked inviting so we decided to check it out.

Eighty Tree is a cozy little cafe, almost invisible, in one of the many rows old pre-war shop-lots that make up the heart of George Town. At a glance, it was pleasantly decorated with knick-knacks, polaroids, artificial potted plants, books and what-nots, giving out a warm ambiance. It felt like as though one could easily laze the afternoon away here, sipping on coffees and nibbling on crackers, while the world sped by outside...

The menu looked pretty decent, with beautifully captured shots that showed some mouth-watering delights - toasts, soups, pastas, poultry, etc. From light snacks to more hefty meals, Eight Tree has a selection tailored for almost everyone. 

Except there are no cakes. 

One would think it's a norm for quaint little cafes like Eighty Tree to serve cakes and desserts. But nop, the owner mentioned about not being one of those "cafes", if I heard correctly. Anyway, it was fine by me seeing I am not really a dessert person myself *winks

The choices of coffee caught my eye too. There were items like toffee coffee, charcoal-brewed coffee, tiramisu coffee, among others. Quite a fresh list from the usual mocha-s, cappuccinos, and lattes, if you know what I mean. Coffee was served on a nice tray with mini crackers to savor.

I ordered the most interesting item on the menu - the candy floss toast. Actually it was more like marshmallow toast; made of rows of marshmallows on top of 2 pieces of toast and drizzled with chocolate syrup. Not a very healthy snack at all, hah. And while I had expected it to be sticky, I hadn't anticipate a layer of peanut butter underneath. Talk about peanut butter overload....definitely a one-timer for me.

And I've had better mushroom soups before - this one was just straight from Campbell. I guess the owner's right about not being one of those "cafes". Maybe someday I'll have to give the mains a chance and see how they fair.

For now, Eighty Tree is an alright-y place but they might need to do a little bit more than just a comfy corner to stay on the map.

Eighty Tree Cafe
83, Lebuh Cintra
10100 Penang


0 tots:

Post a Comment