Monday, December 07, 2009

Feva

The countdown to the world's most beautiful game June 2010 has officially begun. And that means we're gonna be surrounded by news, articles, advertisements, promotions..you name it, they've got it.

Mine comes in the form of an email from Emirates airline. Have you booked your package for the 2010 FIFA World Cup? Apparently they are offering an all-inclusive package ie flights, match tickets, accommodations and transfers to and from the stadium. All you need to do is sign up, select your package and let them worry about the rest. No hassle, no fuss, just need your Visa or MasterCard.


Curious how much a trip will cost, I tried booking...

Page 1: Package search
You get to select your base camp ie the city where you will stay and it doesn't have to be some "ulu" place just because your selected match is gonna be conducted there. Uh-uh, you can stay wherever you want in S. Africa and you will be transferred (by road or by AIR) to and from your matches. Very convenient I must say..


Which team? England (if it wasn't already obvious)
Which match? England vs USA
Base camp? Cape Town
(where all 2012 survivors will head and it's not called cape of good hope for nothing)
Class of travel? Okla just economy will do.
Hotel? 2 star or more (cheapest choice avail.)

A Please wait, we're searching to find you the best deals later...

Page 2: Hotel selection
5 choices of hotels ranging from 2stars to 5stars:

I din go further. There isn't a need, not after a look at the starting prices!

Suddenly it hit me. How much am I actually paying for the match tix alone? And what feng-shui seat will I be getting? What if they just assign me some crappy-nobody-wants-to-buy seat (though I believe it's gonna be packed), 3 stories high from the field and players look like dots scurrying around but charge me with a crazy amount? I want my money's worth!

Turns out there was nothing to be concerned about. The FAQ states

Q. What type of match tickets are on offer? Are they premium seats
within the stadium?

A. The Emirates 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa packages provide CAT01 tickets for all matches, at any of the participating stadiums. Please see diagram below depicting CAT01 seating in blue.



Premium seats they are indeed.

And right below that, a question catches my eye:

Q. I want to watch the game but my wife doesn't. Can I buy part of the ticket?

*chuckles



5 tots:

Soo Huey said...

Eek!! I'm sure if you enter the ballot early for future World Cups and then arrange your own accommodation, you can easily get yourself there and have a good time for a fraction of the cost!

I initially wanted to work in South Africa, so my sis and I went to look up World Cup tix. If you get the ballot, it is actually very affordable, but I can't remember how much. Then just stay at backpackers la... That's where all the action is. Some classy hotel is the wrong feel!

Mindy said...

Haha... that was actually on the FAQ? Then what was the answer?

Catherine said...

yala, if u really want to go, gotta make plans real early. So how come u scrapped ur S.Africa plans? Would have been cool I bet :D

haha mindy, the answer is NO, all packages come with match tickets so the wife's gotta waste at least 2hrs in a crowded stadium watching 22men chasing a ball XD

Soo Huey said...

do they print the wife's name on the ticket? if not, couldn't he just try to re-sell it? i know its not allowed n illegal (its a measure to prevent ppl from being conned by fake tix), but there are definitely scalpers n ppl who try to buy tix when they get there.

Catherine said...

I am not sure but I know I ter-read that they have to personally collect the tickets themselves, ie they will check your id and stuff..

Hmm I think ya the names might be printed, my AC Milan match tix had my name on it if not mistaken..

Post a Comment