Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Delicious


I've heard and seen so many pictures of this place when it was first opened and to think I never could find time to go. I've heard of how popular they were in Kuala Lumpur and how Penangites were rejoiced that it finally opened its doors at the beautiful Straits Quay. So needless to say, I just had to find an opportunity to see the place for myself.

And the first impression of the place was really good. I love the ambience, the decorations made up of bird cages, the cozy color combinations of mostly white and blue, the layout with ceiling-to-floor glass windows that overlooked the sea with warm sunny rays streaming in. On my first visit, I was seated at one of the desserts table by the window - I only had time for desserts then - and it was a nice experience like I was without a care in the world, just enjoying the "yuppie-ness" (definitely thanks to a glass of St. Claire "bubbles" sparkling wine).

Delicious is supposed to be famous for its desserts if I'm not mistaken. However, truth be told I've yet to discover that. Thus far, I've tried the Tiramisu in a glass, Macadamia Cheesecake topped with crunchy macadamia nut brittle & caramel, Strawberry Shortcake, and the Peach & Banana Crumble with vanilla ice cream. None made me crave to go back for more with the peach & banana crumble not even making it into my 2nd-try list. Yup, I didn't like that one at all.


Besides desserts, I've also heard of the pies, mains and pasta. A friend of mine told me the quiche is really good, definitely a must-try. If you've been following my blog you would know how I've sang praises of That Little Wine Bar's quiche, so my ears definitely pricked up when I heard there's a better quiche in town. Okayyy, I gotta find another time to go for a proper meal then. And find time I did.

As usual, mushroom soup was a must so the Wild mushroom soup with garlic bread got a tick. Aglio olio is another favourite so on the order list the Aglio Olio Spaghettini went as well. Lastly, the oh-so-famous quiche. I had the Smoked Salmon Quiche although the Quiche Lorraine with beef bacon caught my eye but too bad I don't really take beef.  Then comes the afterthought (pun intended).

Maybe I had such high hopes for the quiche, you know, so I was a tad disappointed by it. Somehow the smoked salmon, cheese and crust just did not go well together. I hereby declare, the numero uno quiche in town is still the one at That Little Wine Bar, hah. Nothing to complain about the soup and pasta though as I ended up eating more of the pasta than the quiche☺.

Well, there's still a lot to try so it's not my last visit for sure. I do, however, feel that it gets pretty noisy in there. There's always a buzzing of people's voices and the clink-clanking of cutleries. Tone that down a notch and it would be perfect.

Also, one important thing on the menu caught my eye; Traditional English Afternoon Tea for Two (RM59.90):
Served in a Triple-Tier:
  •  Warm scones with preserves & fresh cream
  • Assortment of finger sandwiches & duck confit in filo pastry
  • Strawberry chocolate dip & hand-rolled chocolate truffles
  • Rosemary & cheese cookies
  • Choice of any one cake on display
  • Choice of any two cups of tea
Yay, another mission for me!

0 tots:

Post a Comment