Thursday, June 05, 2008

Fuel CRAZE!

Guess it's old news by now, the new fuel price. I got the news at ~5.30pm yesterday while still in the office, preparing to go home at 6pm & then to the cinema later on ('Twas cheap movie Wednesday). Breaking NEWS!

Well, I'm usually not the kinda person that rushes straight to the nearest petrol station before losing out on a cheaper petrol price. According to my analytical mind (I had just double confirmed on that personality in the Emotional Excellence class today..), the amount you save from that last minute still-cheap-fuel will never offset the amount of time one has to waste waiting in line outside the petrol station. In fact some believes Time is money too. Furthermore, how much can you really save from that final pump? Say it's 20cents saved per litre - that's about the max price hike previously - and a full tank requires 30 litres (taking an easy-to-multiply number here), which means you'll save a mere 6bucks. 2 plates of char koay teows alone will have costed more.

Anyway, I realized my fuel level was almost down to 'E' while on the way home. Also, I'd passed a few stations as well and my, my, the queues sure were building up. "Hmm..maybe I should be pumping too" popped in my mind (Analytical mind kicking in -again). First, my fuel was reaching zilch. Plus it was a 78cents hike this time around! Besides, my movie would only start at 9.30pm and it was only almost 7pm then. I decided I would go home for a refreshing shower and join the crowd after. BUT not without preparations of coz! Girl Guides motto: "Be Prepared" :P

I had buns and a book to wait with me. I believed I was the only car with the interior light on after it had gotten dark outside!

Let's start QUEING.. My latest read..keke Buns for dinner

~1.5 hours and a few chapters later, the station's signboard was finally visible. And thankfully, lady luck did not desert me either..Who knows, the station might ran out of fuel as my turn came up! Wouldn't that be Horror of horrors?!

Destination in sight! Yay, I'm NEXT! Half hour left to 'lepak' still ;)

All's well, ends well. And I still had time to spare to browse in a bookstore before the movie ;)

To wrap it up, this is an experience I wouldn't mind to miss LOL. If I had had a half tank of fuel left in the first place, I think I'll still be sticking to my first analysis result and stayed at home instead. I can't believe there were still cars queued up when I was heading back home at ~11.56pm. Precious final 4 minutes indeed!


*UPDATES*
A colleague told me today that she and her mum was one of those queuing up at 11plus pm but sadly it was 12am before their turn came up. And guess what? The petrol station's attendant literally walked up to every car in queue, knocked on their windows and informed them "Harga sudah tukar, ya." ("The price has changed, ya.")
Talk about immediate effect!
Well, some cars went ahead to pump too..consolation for a 2hours wait NOT!

16 tots:

tanshuyin said...

were you not stuck in the jam on the way home? I was stuck for 2 hrs from IDT to Island Glades! Horror!

Catherine said...

At 6sth, the traffic was heavy but not stagnant..LUCKILY!
Afterthat I heard it got really bad..jst like ur case

Eng Seng said...

How did you manage to queue up for petrol, have dinner, read a book and catch a movie at the same time?

In KL, no taxis were willing to pick up passengers. And the queues to the petrol stations span up to 2km... Traffic jams all over the place.

Be Prepared indeed, if the petrol price goes up to RM4 per litre in August...

Catherine said...

Haha guess another crazy moment in my life which I will gladly put to rest..

Were you one of those who contributed to the long queue? :P

Sigh...if it goes on like this, I predict more dinner-in-the-car days ahead :S

Anonymous said...

"A colleague told me today that she and her mum was one of those queuing up at 11plus pm but sadly it was 12am before their turn came up. And guess what? The petrol station's attendant literally walk up to every car in queue, knocked on their windows and informed them "Harga sudah tukar, ya." ("The price has changed, ya.")
Talk about immediate effect!"


Apparently, some petrol stations started charging the new price at 11 something. Even worse, isn't it? I wonder if we can actually lodge a complaint about them.

A good thing I pumped on Tuesday night. Already foresee that there'll be an (almost) immediate increase :D

Catherine said...

Haha how to complain unless you got the whole thing recorded down..but I think no one will want to go through the fuss...

Good for you..:)

Catherine said...

Crazy increase ought to have a crazy moment to go with it..hehe

Hah, to take a snapshot with that 1.92/L, that will definitely make me look like an idiot...

but wait, that name's already taken by you wert..so it shud be you doing the posing instead since u had nowhere to go stuck in bad jam anyway :P

frostier said...

sounds judgment

at least with book to keep you occupied. with half tank empty, I opted to refill the next day.

Catherine said...

sound judgement back at ya :)

Eng Seng said...

I'm sure people will queue up again if the petrol price goes up to RM4!

Catherine said...

That's for sure but I think there will not be another price hike this year..*phew

mELbiEpiE said...

I can feel the stress and pain for you guys.........*fUiyOh*

Catherine said...

haha so aren't you lucky to have trams and buses.

Just don't fall asleep and miss your stop again! :P:P

mELbiEpiE said...

*bee blushes*

Eng Seng said...

I heard that the Penang state government is looking into improving the public transportation. Maybe even free rides to certain places?

Catherine said...

hmm..not very sure abt that. we'll see how it goes :)

Post a Comment